Township Information, Forms & Ordinances
Homestead Township Parks & Recreation Advisory Committee
Homestead Township Hall
11508 Honor Highway
Honor, MI 49640
August 21, 2008 at 6:00P.M.
Members present: Secretary Todd Warren, Chairman Denis Rokicki
Members Absent: Cliff Grostick, Patty Gettings, Vice Chairman Frank Walterhouse
Others present: Township Supervisor, Cathy Demitroff
Call to Order: The Meeting was called to order at 6:01pm by Chairman Denis Rokicki
Approval of the Minutes of the May 15, 2008 meeting: . Not enough members for a quorum
1. Olsen Grant application. Demitroff informed the committee that the Township had official been awarded a grant from the Olsen Foundation. A separate account has been set up for park improvements. The 10,000$ award is currently in this account. Rokicki asked if a thank you letter had been prepared. Demitroff said she was not sure and would look into that.
2. Skate Park Grant. Warren presented a draft worksheet for the Tony Hawk Foundation Grant. He will present the draft along with a letter of support , for the grant, to the Township Board at their next meeting. Once their approval is received he will prepare the final application for the October 1st deadline. He is also working on gathering more support letters.
3. Playground Equipment. Rokicki stated that he would like to get more groups and parents involved in the playscape idea. He is looking into many funding options, including a Rural Agriculture Department Grant. He is also researching a group named Kaboom. They help low income communities develop recreational opportunities for kids.
4. Raffle. Rokicki stated that he had applied for a raffle permit earlier this summer. It will take 6-8 weeks to get the permit. If we get a permit Rokicki stated that he would possibly like to plan a fall raffle. Demitroff stated that she had heard that governmental units could not get a licensee.
5. Grant from Grand Traverse Band. Demitroff presented a letter of denial from the Grand Traverse Band.
1. Sign placement and Erosion Control. Demitroff brought up some concerns presented to her by park manager Frank Walterhouse A sign designating a nature trail was placed by the Boyscouts. The sign placement information will be presented to the Township board at their next meeting. Walterhouse suggested to Demitroff that some erosion control needed to be installed by the concession stand. He suggested paving the rest of the drive. Also there is a continuing problem with erosion at the second field. Rokicki stated that he would get Walterhouses suggestions in writing.
2. Park Manager resignation. Warren related concerns brought up to him by committee member Patty Gettings during a phone conversation. Gettings stated that she was very concerned that when park manager Walterhouse leaves all the committees work will be for nothing. She also stated that she does not want the per diem given to her for being on the committee. This money should go to the park..
Public Input: No public input.
The meeting was adjourned at 7:15pm.
The next meeting of the Homestead Township Parks and Recreation Committee will be September 18, at 6:00pm.
Respectfully submitted by